<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d34221708\x26blogName\x3dHighest+Echelon\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://highestechelon.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://highestechelon.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1625387745928298660', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Highest Echelon

A personal finance blog. Paying for my University, life and eventually achieving financial freedom.

My First (Self Bought) Computer

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I bought my first computer (with my own money) about 3 years ago from Best Buy. A T3265 eMachines. It cost about $700, which was a lot (for me) at the time. Besides my car, it was, and still is, my biggest financial purchase. Here are the stats:
  • AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Processor
  • 512MB PC2700 DDR Memory
  • 160GB Hard Drive
  • 4x DVD+/-RW Burner and 48x CD-ROM Optical Drives
  • NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
  • NVIDIA nForce2 MCP-T 6-Channel Audio with Amplified Stereo Speakers
  • v.92 56Kbps Modem and 10/100 Ethernet Port
  • Five USB 2.0 Ports and 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • Windows XP Home Operating System and Microsoft Works 7.0 Productivity Software
I made sure to buy it without a monitor because I would eventually buy a 21 inch flat panel. I continued using my old 15 inch CRT box monitor for a while longer until I saved up enough money for the upgrade. I also subsequently bought a wireless mouse, a premium surround sound system, and a 4 in one printer, scanner, fax, copier. All of these things I plan on passing on to the next computer so I don't consider it wasted money.

After 3 problem free years, I was sold on eMachines. eMachines has established itself as a low cost budget system, an image they are slowly trying to break. I consider them the Hyundai of computers.

Even though my computer still works perfectly and plan on using it until it blows up, it's still a lot of fun to look at the newest technology. So in a few upcoming posts I'll review some brand new computers, laptops, and related technologies. Maybe I'll even convince myself to buy a new computer this year instead of 2008.

What are the specs of your computer?
posted by johnwilkx, 1:01 PM

5 Comments:

If it was the Hyundai of computers you wouldn't buy one. More like Toyota or Honda.
My first computer was a packard bell - that was 11 years ago and AOL just started.

It was a 486 33mhz sx computer with a whopping 4MB of ram and windows for workgroups 3.1.1

This was purchased with an epson dot matrix printer and monitor/keyboard/etc from Wal Mart for 1000 dollars.

This was a big deal for me since I worked minimum wage to save up the first 400 dollars and I used that computer all the way through my first year of college.
Whoa! Those are good specs for a first computer, considering you bought it 5 years ago. It's amazing how technology evolves, and computers are no exception. I remember the time when a 10MB Hard Disk costs $1999. Now they're making HDs with significantly bigger storage capacities!
Hi, For server u can buy from the server basket, We can buy the latest servers in Refurbshed server
https://www.serverbasket.com/products/servers/refurbished-servers/workstation/
Hello, our team working on all kind of server issues. Annual Maintenance Contract , IT Infrastructure Management Services , Servers, Storage Rental , AMC, FMS Services - Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune.

Add a comment